Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu will not boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Ubuntu will not boot

Problem Background:
    I tried to install Ubuntu on my laptop. It seemed to work the first couple times. Now it won't work. The error message is below but first I will give more information.

My computer has always been running Windows Vista. I just heard of Ubuntu and it seems very fascinating so I figured I would try it.

First I went to ubuntu.com, clicked the "download ubuntu" link and followed the 4 steps listed on that page. Step 1: I downloaded the 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10 the filename is ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386. I also downloaded wubi for some reason but I don't remember when or why.

Step 2: Since my disc drive is completely broken and non-functional, I created a usb drive to get Ubuntu started. I used the universal usb installer the filename for that program is Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.3.7.

Step 3: I restarted my computer with the usb as the first in the boot order. I chose the first option in that menu which I think just ran Ubuntu from the usb drive. I ran the installation after enabling a wireless internet connection and restarted the computer.

I removed the usb drive and Ubuntu started and had me login my username and password. I tried to connect to the internet but couldn't figure it out so I restarted the computer.

The problem.
    Now here's the problem. This time Ubuntu didn't work. I get an error message and this is what I see on the screen...

Code:
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
     - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
     - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    - Missing modules (cat/proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/0696b9a1-0116-4dd8-bee6-9156394da148 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Busybox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu1:1.15.3-1ubuntu5) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _
    I know very, very, very little about linux or computers in general but I am very very willing to learn.

Does anybody know what to do?
    Last edited by deckerry; March 24th, 2011 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu will not boot

Hi and welcome to the forums

What graphics card do you have? and can you boot from that usb again and choose try rather than install? if so post the results.txt genereated by downloading and running this script whilst in the ubuntu usb live environment

If that usb doesn't let you try ubuntu then the iso is probably corrupt...if so then download another one
    Last edited by Hippytaff; March 24th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

You should try using the "USB Startup Disk Creator" instead. Booting from USB requires special hooks/modules and a filesystem that Linux can use; FAT32, a common FS on USB sticks, just doesn't cut it, and NTFS support is still a bit glitchy for use as root. The startup disk creator takes care of all of this, and should be available to you if you install it (if it isn't already available) while booted to the CD (the package will be copied to and unpacked in memory). You may, however, need another external drive to store the ISO to use for creating the startup disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hippytaff View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forums

What graphics card do you have? and can you boot from that usb again and choose try rather than install? if so post the results.txt genereated by downloading and running this script whilst in the ubuntu usb live environment

If that usb doesn't let you try ubuntu then the iso is probably corrupt...if so then download another one
    Wow that was a really quick response thanks.

I don't know which graphics card I have. I think it's nvidia. I hope that answers that question.

I think I figured out how to post the results.txt as an attachment but it seems to be too large.
    It is 21.5 and it seems that the limit is 19.5.
    Last edited by deckerry; March 24th, 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Don't know what I'm doing but trying really hard to get it right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deconstrained View Post
    You should try using the "USB Startup Disk Creator" instead. Booting from USB requires special hooks/modules and a filesystem that Linux can use; FAT32, a common FS on USB sticks, just doesn't cut it, and NTFS support is still a bit glitchy for use as root. The startup disk creator takes care of all of this, and should be available to you if you install it (if it isn't already available) while booted to the CD (the package will be copied to and unpacked in memory). You may, however, need another external drive to store the ISO to use for creating the startup disk.
    Thanks a lot for the tip. I am going to try Hippytaff's advice first. If that doesn't work, I'll try yours next.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by deckerry View Post
    Thanks a lot for the tip. I am going to try Hippytaff's advice first. If that doesn't work, I'll try yours next.
    To post the results.txt file...click the New Reply icon (the grey one) paste the results.txt. Then highlight the text you pasted and click the # icon at the top of the window. That should put it in tags...and deconstrained probaly knows more that me
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm sorry, but do you delete a reply by the way? I know I can edit it but don't know how to delete it.
    Last edited by deckerry; March 24th, 2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Don't know what I'm doing but trying really hard to get it right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's the results.txt.

Code:
     file:///home/ubuntu/Desktop/RESULTS.txt
    The contents of that file is what is useful
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ha ha ha! Wow. You're absolutely right.
    Can you tell I'm a complete noob!

Thanks for being so patient.
    I edited some of my posts if you want to take another look above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ha ha ha! Wow. You're absolutely right.
    Can you tell I'm a complete noob!

Thanks for being so patient.
    I edited some of my posts if you want to take another look above.
    it's probably best if you post it again for the lazy people..like me
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast