Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

I have been having problems with my graphics card, heres the post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1629799

Beans

Hello
    Does anybody know how the bug with bt can be won?
    It seems that at the first boot to ubuntu after windows(with working bt) it turns on for 1 second when I press Fn+F3 several times. But after it turns down, and I can't make him switch on again.
    Also, after that bt doesn't working in win7 too...but all returns in normal state(working in win, and not working in ubuntu) when win7 downloads and installs some updates.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfer View Post
    Hello
    It seems that at the first boot to ubuntu after windows(with working bt) it turns on for 1 second when I press Fn+F3 several times. But after it turns down, and I can't make him switch on again.
    Also, after that bt doesn't working in win7 too...but all returns in normal state(working in win, and not working in ubuntu) when win7 downloads and installs some updates.
    Mine works normally with Fn+F3.

I am having some problems, are there any solutions to these?

1. Laptop heats up pretty fast (in an hour of surfing only it hits upto 60-65, while in windows even after a movie its just at 47 (deg cel)). To clear up any confusion, the fan works perfectly in ubuntu.

2. I am unable to run games through wine (I have checked the supported games list and CS and warcraft was there, I have also tried searching), I am using a 64 bit Ubuntu 10.10

3.SOLVER WITH BIOS UPDATEBattery/AC power is not displayed.(I have tried help and some commands, it shows that gdm power manager is running)
    Solution:- First you need to check if you have the acpi. To check type in terminal
    Code:
    acpi
    If not install it will tell you to type the following to install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install acpi

4. The ATI card issue remains unsolved for me.(how to switch to intels?)
    Last edited by andy12345; November 26th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfer View Post
    Hello
    Hi,
    for my BT works fine with ubuntu 10.10 64bit(bios 1.19).When i press (once or twice - i don't know exatly)start wifi and bluetooth.Bluetooth communication with my android on HTC HD2 fine.Which version Ubuntu you have?

Quote Originally Posted by andy12345 View Post
    Problem with AC power/Battery solved bios 1.19.
    Last edited by wizards; November 26th, 2010 at 09:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

How to switch between graphics cards? ATI's heats up pretty fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wizards View Post
    Hi,
    for my BT works fine with ubuntu 10.10 64bit(bios 1.19).When i press (once or twice - i don't know exatly)start wifi and bluetooth.Bluetooth communication with my android on HTC HD2 fine.Which version Ubuntu you have?
    I have 10.10 and bios 1.19 too. Pressing F3+fn sometimes turns it on, but only for one moment. And i can't resolve this

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daveboy23 View Post
    yap, i actually searched for that myself - here's the solution: go to skype and disable the automatic sound adjust thing then go to terminal - type alsamixer, press F4 (capture tab) - so to capture and put it all the way up (or to a volume you like) then (on the same column) press 'y' till you completely mute the left channel. now skype works. problem - if you change the volume from the pulse you loose this configuration so take care.

Hi DaveBoy23,
    sorry for my late reply!

Now it works in Skype and also in Google Talk!

I have added your post in my summary blog ...http://kblackhat.blogspot.com/

Bye

Nicola
    Last edited by nicolaary; November 28th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hello. Looking for information about this model I frequently came to this page http://www.linlap.com/wiki/acer+aspire+4820+timelinex . I see high potential in this laptop. Other people would came to this page too. Can someone clarify data in it? Does 'tested' in table mean 'works'? Can someone summarize one need to do to fix solved problems?
    Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nicolaary View Post
    Hi DaveBoy23,
    sorry for my late reply!

Now it works in Skype and also in Google Talk!

I have added your post in my summary blog ...http://kblackhat.blogspot.com/

Bye

Nicola
    i'm glad to know i did my small part to help the community

Quote Originally Posted by roshats View Post
    Hello. Looking for information about this model I frequently came to this page http://www.linlap.com/wiki/acer+aspire+4820+timelinex . I see high potential in this laptop. Other people would came to this page too. Can someone clarify data in it? Does 'tested' in table mean 'works'? Can someone summarize one need to do to fix solved problems?
    Good luck.
    not problem on clarifying the data - the computer works perfectly after the bios 1.19 and various fixes (easily performed) from this website (from the first quote)
    http://kblackhat.blogspot.com/

Beans
    Distro

Almost all of my issues have been solved. I have to still test games which I will do so after my exams (after 23rd dec).
    For anyone having problems I suggest the following
    Problems & solutions for Ubuntu 10.10 on 4820TG
    1. Battery/Power issues
    Get the latest BIOS from acer and install (I did it through my windows, really easy, just have to execute a file)
    2. Card switching issues.
    This is my post(click me) realted to the problem which has been now solved.
    This is the solution.(click me)
    Thats all the basic issues I had. I have compared the copy speeds and ubuntu is just a bit faster(normal test nothing fancy with lots of runs or anything).
    I have also ready that game fps are good for ubuntu rather than windows (I saw the WoW video), so I will try some games out later.
    I would really like to thank the ubuntu community for their help in resolving my problems.

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast