Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Thanks for the great work everybody!

Observation:
    I couldn't get this to work using the .sys file from my own windows install (Vista not XP), but the files posted above worked perfectly.

Beans

Hello,
    I hate to be a complete idiot, but I have gone through several iterations trying to get my computer to recognize the Netgear WNA1100 USB Adaptor on my computer with no luck.

I first downloaded Steves document on with no luck. First went through it his way,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=wna1100, and got everything he indicated but no blinking light on my usb adapter.

I then tried the driver loaded in maverick, and got what Bristol_Green had, but no blinking light.

I then tried it this way, no luck. I'm pretty much at a stand-still. I've also gone through 2 versions of Ubuntu, lucid and maverick. Still no luck.

Several things to note.
    1). If I do an 'ifconfig', it does not show wlan0. Just the original ports of eth0 and lo.

2). If I do a ndiswrapper -l, it shows shows the netathuw driver installed with the device number of the netgear device, 0846:9030.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I hate to say, I may have to punt and go back to Windows. Transferring files to a pen drive on one computer and then porting to my linux box gets old. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ed

Beans

Smile Re: Netgear WNA1100 USB SOLVED

devilcode's solution from December 19th, 2010 worked for me on Ubuntu Desktop 10.10.

One thing to note, in step one I could not seem to get the files supplied in his/her attachment to work. I found similarly named files (perhaps more recent?) on my live cd in the \pool\main\n directory. I copied both the ndisgtk and ndiswrapper folders from there to my Ubuntu desktop and went from there. As devilcode states, I did find it necessary to install them in order.

Thanks for the solution devilcode and thanks for supplying the .inf files, finding them on my windows machine was proving to be a real PITA, lol.

Beans

Does anyone have the stand alone 64 bit drivers? I'm now running Ubuntu 10.10 Server (64 bit) and ndiswrapper is not happy about me trying to use the 32 bit drivers devilcode so kindly provided.

I downloaded and installed the NetGear software package v1.1.4.32 (containing driver version 2.0.057) on my Winblows 7 (64 bit) machine. When I checked the the device's driver details I found two .sys files rather than one .sys and one .inf. The files are:

C:\\Windows\System32\Drivers\authurx.sys
    C:\\Windows\System32\Drivers\vwifibus.sys

Any suggestions for pulling the .inf files out of this Setup.exe I downloaded?

Beans

Re: Netgear WNA1100 USB SOLVED

Quote Originally Posted by devilcode View Post
    Hi All,

I have been running through the forum/net trying to solve this issue of getting the WNA1100 Netgear USB WiFi dongle working on Ubuntu an easy way and so I hope the following helps.

Step 1:
    Download and install the following in this order:

• ndiswrapper-common
    • ndiswrapper-utils
    • ndisgtk

In attachment (ndisfiles.tar.gz (132.1 KB) ).

Step 2:

Once you have installed the above in order of Step 1 you need to get a copy of the XP driver for the WNA1100 USB WIFI card. If you don't have it you can download it from the attachment to this post: WinXP2000.tar.gz (537.3 KB)

to uncompress the files either right click on it and Extract Here... or via command line type so for the files listed would be:

• tar xvf ndisfiles.tar.gz
    • tar xvf WinXP2000.tar.gz

Step 3:

Now you need to install the XP driver to get the USB WiFi to work. So via command line in the Terminal.
    % gksudo
    then type 'ndisgtk' under run and make sure its as user root. Then click ok.
    it will ask you to put in your su password and press ok.

The a GUI will pop up with Wireless Network Diver. Click the 'Install New Driver' and select netathuw.inf

Then plug in the the WNA1100 USB WIFI and all should be good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Im new ish to linux so feel free to comment or correct.
    so so so many thanks!!!

this : WinXP2000.tar.gz i need and i found it only from you here!!! thanks a lot again!!! simple i install it via ndiswrapper graphical interface and then works perfectly!!

i love you!!!

Beans

Smile Re: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Same here thanks I could not find it and had no axcess to XP.

Beans

I have the 64 bit drivers. I do not know how to send them though through this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

wna1100 works out of the box on Ubuntu Natty 11.04.

For Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, technically you should just be able to include the kernel PPA and install 2.6.38-8 along with it's wireless component. ( I forgot how it's named in Synaptic )

ath9k_htc supports this chipset. Unfortunately I had issues tracking down the correct firmware file for /lib/firmware.

NDISWrapper
    32-Bit 10.04 worked with the NDISWrapper.
    64-Bit 10.04 kept issuing invalid command 12.

I believe I even had NDISWrapper 1.56 on both machines. It's a real pain trying to get the .inf files from the installer.

I'd recomend uniextract to pull out the various installation files. Otherwise you'll be installing to physical Win32 machines to get the .inf and supporting drivers. I had to install a 64bit WinOS to get the 64-Bit version of the driver.

I was trying to write a script to use Wine/uniextract but I ran into some problems I'm trying to iron out.
    Last edited by salemboot; June 3rd, 2011 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had to boot 11.04 and drop to a terminal and zip up the firmware directory. Which I later unzipped into my 10.04 firmware directory.

USB Key's work great for these little fixes.

Beans

It works for me in few seconds !

Ubuntu 11.04 / 64 bits

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast