Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Can you tell us, step by step exactly what you did to get the Netgear WNA 1100 to work? Myself and countless others have followed similar steps only to find that Ndiswrapper believes that the driver is working, yet Ubuntu sees no wireless networks.

Thank you in advance from both myself and the entire Ubuntu Community.

Beans

I am trying to install my WNA1100 card and it isn't working yet.
    I followed all the steps listed so far, but my inf is named netathur.inf - not netathuw.inf

It installed correctly via ndisgtk - and it says hardware is present.
    I did modprobe ndiswrapper, and nothing happened/changed, except for the warning about config files - so I assume it worked.
    ndiswrapper -l prints out my driver and says the correct device is present (0846:9030)
    lsusb shows on Bus 001 Device 004 I have (0846:9030 NetGear. Inc.)

But this is where I am stuck at.
    Is there a command I have to use to activate the driver/device?

I've used ubuntu in the past, but it's been a couple years.
    The laptop I have it on is 6 or 7 years old and I wiped hard drive to install ubuntu.

Beans

OK, I looked in the stickied comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting thread, and I got up to Section 4.

Apparently ndiswrapper is failing to import something:

[24.094242 ndiswrapper (import:242) unknown symbol: ntoskrnl.exe: 'RtlIsServicePackVersionInstalled'

There are several of these (I can print them all out of necessary), going through to NDIS.SYS and such.

Ends with failing the load_sys_files:206 part.

Googling around, it looks like I may be able to fix it with building ndiswrapper from source or something? However this computer has no internet access at all at the moment, so does anyone know a specific version or file to download so I can extract from a usb drive?

Beans

Hi, an alternative approach which worked for me was to install the ath9k_htc (Atheros Linux Driver)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...30#post9909230

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Using Vagrale13's .deb file worked perfectly for me in Lucid. It will not work in Maverick because theoretically Maverick has kernel support for Ath9k adapters and the .deb package refuses to install. I say theoretically because my Maverick install did not recognize the Netgear WNA1100. I downloaded NDIS-GTK via synaptic and that worked perfectly. I'm not certain the throughput is quite as good using the NDIS solution but it did work for me, no tinkering required. I copied the /driver folder containing the .inf & .sys files from an XP install.

Edit after 1 week.

Vagrale13's .deb file is revised and is supposed to work with Maverick Meerkat now. I haven't tried it. I was having some issues with the WNA1100 not wanting to resume after suspending. Apparently NetworkManager is at fault and there is a fix but the fix hasn't found its way to Ubuntu yet. Here's what I found and typed. I've done 15-20 suspend resume cycles and so far it has always resumed properly. Obviously, do not type the #, just sudo then the commands.

#sudo service network-manager stop
    #sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    #sudo service network-manager start

I just checked that path in Nautilus and the NetworkManager.state file exists so it may be recreated upon reboot or something. Anyway, so far my suspend/resume appears to be working as advertised. I gather those 3 lines fix other wireless adapters with suspend/resume problems, not just Netgear. I guess this is why switching to WiCD also seems to fix the suspend/resume issue.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; November 1st, 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Re: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Hi community.
    Follow this tutorial if you want to see the wna1100 blue led blinking and working. It even works in BackTrack 4!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=wna1100
    Last edited by Messier 66; October 22nd, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Netgear WNA1100 USB SOLVED

Hi All,

I have been running through the forum/net trying to solve this issue of getting the WNA1100 Netgear USB WiFi dongle working on Ubuntu an easy way and so I hope the following helps.

Step 1:
    Download and install the following in this order:

• ndiswrapper-common
    • ndiswrapper-utils
    • ndisgtk

In attachment (ndisfiles.tar.gz (132.1 KB) ).

Step 2:

Once you have installed the above in order of Step 1 you need to get a copy of the XP driver for the WNA1100 USB WIFI card. If you don't have it you can download it from the attachment to this post: WinXP2000.tar.gz (537.3 KB)

to uncompress the files either right click on it and Extract Here... or via command line type
    tar xvf filename.tar.gz
    so for the files listed would be:

• tar xvf ndisfiles.tar.gz
    • tar xvf WinXP2000.tar.gz

Step 3:

Now you need to install the XP driver to get the USB WiFi to work. So via command line in the Terminal.
    % gksudo
    then type 'ndisgtk' under run and make sure its as user root. Then click ok.
    it will ask you to put in your su password and press ok.

The a GUI will pop up with Wireless Network Diver. Click the 'Install New Driver' and select netathuw.inf

Then plug in the the WNA1100 USB WIFI and all should be good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Im new ish to linux so feel free to comment or correct.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yes, and Natty likes the WNA1100 without any fussing.

NdisWrapper does work. I found what seemed like a little better performance using the installer, however.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ath9k-htc/

The only downside to the installer is that if you have any other Wireless connections, they may be disabled. I'm not sure about wired connections. But the installer itself worked quite reliably on the 2 machines i tried it on.

The good news is that Natty Narwahl (11.04) looks like it will support the Netgear WNA1100 and RealTek 8192SU (TrendNet TEW-649UB) natively. I tried both adapters on a live session and both came alive and connected on WPA2 networks.

Beans

Thank you Devilcode!! Your write-up worked perfectly! Can't thank you enough.....was banging my head against the wall for a while on this one!

You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

I recommend ath9k_htc ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/ath9k-htc/ ) - it worked perfectly with my Netgear N150 WNA1100.

Devilcode's method also worked... but Devilcode's method wasn't perfect because I could only connect to networks without security, or with WEP or Dynamic WEP security (not WPA2-PSK which I use).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast