Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Beans

Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Hi,

I just bought the following new wireless USB adapter:

Netgear Wireless-N 150 USB Adapter WNA1100

I'm currently running a dual-boot with Windows Vista & Ubuntu 9.04 (64 bit). Of course the adapter came with Windows drivers so that was easy. However, I have not seen any posts for getting this adapter to work in Ubuntu.

If anyone has tried (and succeeded) then please let me know how it was done. I have to move my computer and do not have access to a physical network connection anymore.

My options are to get wireless working on Ubuntu or just stop using the OS.

Please help!

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Does Netgear WNA1100 USB Adapter work in Ubuntu

Hello,

I have been able to get my Netgear WNA1100 to work under Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit desktop. I don't know if anyone still needs a guide for this, but essentially I installed ndiswrapper via synaptic and used the .inf from an xp install. I extracted the .inf and other setup files using a VirtualBox Windows Xp install.

As a side note I had previously tried this approach using a .inf from a Win 7 64-bit install in linux mint 8.0 and had no success.

Once I installed with ndiswrapper I was able to see my available wireless access points in NetworkManager Applet. Also of note my Access Point is only through a linksys wrtg54 (G) router. Considering the proximity of my router (~10 ft with a wall) my signal seems a bit weaker than I'd expect (~60%). I also cannot assess the performance of (N) speeds and connectivity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use a netgear WPN111 at my studio - not same as yours but could work...ndisgtk is available in the synaptic and is very easy to use. When ndisgtk asks you for the .inf file it needs to come with another file, .sys or something, in the same directory. I'm not sure of the exact name as I'm not at that computer at the moment. If it's not clear which one you need, just copy the entire folder C:\Program_files\NETGEAR\WNA110\Driver\ from windows to your ubuntu partition, there should only be about 45 or 5 files in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Were you using arusb_8p.inf? If not, could you provide the file name of the .inf file you were using.. the above doesn't work. What files did you point ndiswrapper at?

IGF
    Got Ubuntu?

Linux User #436060 http://counter.li.org/

Beans

I directed ndiswrapper to arusb_xp.inf and sys file and no joy. Installs the driver with no error, but not recognizing wireless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Metal View Post
    I directed ndiswrapper to arusb_xp.inf and sys file and no joy. Installs the driver with no error, but not recognizing wireless.

I used the file netathuw.inf and it works perfectly!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lostboi45 View Post
    I used the file netathuw.inf and it works perfectly!
    You did that on a 32-bit or on a 64-bit kernel?
    If you do
    Code:
    uname -m
    on a gnome-terminal console, do you get "x86_64" or "i386" ?

Because it seems that Netgear bundles its driver only for 32-bit Windows, and ndiswrapper on a 64-bit Linux cowardly refuses to load that driver!

Beans

I installed the netathuw.inf as well on lucid x32. No error messages and when i run

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    netathuw shows up in the list of installed drivers, but I cannot find any wireless networks in the Network Manager Applet.

Beans

SAME PROBLEM HERE!! i need help, i've installed ndiswrapper and installed the netathuw.inf file, with the sys file athuw.sys in the same folder when executing "ndiswrapper -i netathuw.inf". when i executed that it showed me no errors and when i put "ndiswrapper -l" it says that the driver netathuw is installed and the device is present. when i run "lsusb" it shows the device "NETGEAR, Inc" but the device's ligth doesn't turn on and the wirelless network is not visible.

but then i used "modprobe ndiswrapper" and the device started blinking, like 4 or five times then stops, for like 30 or 40 secs and it starts blinking again, 4 or 5 times and stops again, and it keeps doing that over and over again but nothing happens!

Please somebody help

Beans

Sorry for double posting, but that last one was 5 days ago and this, i think, is very important for anyone who may need it.

what i did in my last post DID WORK, but i didn't check the available wireless networks after running

Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    and they were there!! ready to be selected! and i got my connection with no more problems! so the answer for the question of this thread is YES, The NETGEAR WNA1100 USB WIRELESS ADAPTER does work with ubuntu (with the mentioned driver). but i got another problem later. The problem is described perfectly on this thread first post, and it has its solution!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1145788

well if someone out there still has problems with this adapter feel free to post, but i think this is solved!.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast