Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by kiridude View Post
    If blackberry doesn't make their phones compatible for linux users, then we should not be giving them our money. There are lots of phones out there that are linux-friendly. And please, what can a blackberry do that so many other phones cannot do too?? Let's not get mislead by fads and marketing like all the fools who buy an iphone thinking they're getting some kind of great phone.
    Unfortunately, some of us have BB's supplied by our employers and it would be quite the waste to not be able to use them and have to purchase another phone out of my own pocket. FWIW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

So Loyd Gravitt,

Your employer does not also supply a windows box?

Barry is the only reason I "downgraded" from 8.04 to 9.04 and it seems to have been a mistake as 9.04 has been pretty buggy AND thusfar I haven't been able to use Barry.

Using my old BB as a modem would have been helpful too.

I'm crossing my fingers that 10.04 is not so buggy and hope to do a fresh install and am looking for another brand of smart-phone that's open-source/linux friendly. The BB will make a nice paperweight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

How do we get RIM to support Linux??.... There must be a way...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi guys,

I can tell you I have been using a BB for some time now, AND I have been working on the 8.04, the 9.04, 9.10 and now the 10.04.

I must say since I upgraded the last time to the Last 2 versions (even if they are know to be not quiet that stable) may BB is know to the system and I can transfer Files Back and forward without installing anny software.

But however I do also want to use the Desktop manager to upgrade or manage software on my mobilde device. For this reason only I am still using a windows console on my linux.

The Sync part is even more easy, I use google sync on the mobile since my All (email, calendar and contacts) are on that platform. I chose this for 2 reasons.
    Free and practial to use and configre.

On the linux I only have the Calendar configured so I can see my appiontment when I turn on the maschine, since all is web bassed I chose not to use evolution or other.

I hope this helps out for other newbies Like me, or other who have been struggeling.

Beans

I just want to plug my blackberry in and not have it reboot. Not too much to ask.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

I have a software program under Windows, called ABCBerry. This program can read the backups made under Desktop Manager and will show all the info and even converts the data in different formats, if needed.
    Apperantly it is not really difficult to read the database in a BB (mine is a Curve 8310).
    I do not know if the info can be utilized that way, if the knowledge is there in how to create a backup underLlinux.
    It will be a one way temporarely solution, but it might be the beginning of something beautiful.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Guys - did any of you managed to use BB on linux as a modem (tether) and connect to internet ?

Beans

For those of you just looking to mount you BB, I just found the answer here:

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/using...rve_with_linux

"
    Setting Up the microSD Card
    After installing the card nothing appeared to have changed. This perplexed me at first, but it turns out the problem was in configuring the BlackBerry. To enable Mass Storage Mode navigate to Settings -> Options -> Media Card and make sure the following settings are correct.
    - Media Card Support: On
    - Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    There is an Auto Enable option for Mass Storage mode as well. I set this to Yes because it's the only way I will be using my BlackBerry when connected to a computer.
    If you have a password set up for your device, it must be entered whenever you connect in Mass Storage Mode in order to prevent someone stealing your files.
    Once the BlackBerry is setup properly, connect it by USB and most current distributions will auto-detect it. Kubuntu popped up a dialog letting me know that a new drive was available and presented me with a few options."

Once I did just that, it auto mounts as soon as it is plugged into USB now..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: How to Sync your Blackberry in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by 80poncho View Post
    For those of you just looking to mount you BB, I just found the answer here:
    Once I did just that, it auto mounts as soon as it is plugged into USB now..
    I'm afraid that is well known since long time SD card will be mounted always. trouble is BB is not being seen as device...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Methinks the answer lies in an entirely different platform.

The Palm Pre seems like my answer in older hardware.

Many hardware porviders are jumping on with Ubuntu and RIM has even come on board with Bluetooth profiles to meet mainstream demands.

RIM startes serving government clients before mainstreaaam so it wanted to be secure wihch seems like a catch 22 in that windows is a security nightmare.

I don't see RIM changing soon.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast